If you think your only chance for big savings is during annual holiday sales, think again. You don't have to wait for Black Friday to find the best deals on home appliances. In fact, other months may bring even more savings. With a little planning and patience, there's a "best time to buy" for nearly all of your home improvement needs.
Mark your calendars during these seasons to help you save on energy efficient upgrades and items to help spruce up your home's curb appeal.
- Windows: Peak season for window companies is during warmer months. In the winter, you may find companies are more likely to lower their prices because of the lull in business. Additionally, it will be easier to schedule a contractor because you will have more flexibility with your installation dates.
- HVAC systems: Did you know 42% of your energy bill comes from heating and cooling? If you're considering upgrading or replacing your current system for something greener, spring is a great time to buy. During the peak of winter and summer, the prices of these systems surge, and contractors are in high demand to maintain and install units.
- Tools: Looking to spend your long summer working on some DIY home improvement projects? June brings Father's Day, when retailers traditionally put hammers, power drills and other tools on sale. But you can also find great clearance sales at summer's end.
- Paint: The costs of paint can add up quickly, and if you are looking to score a deal make your purchase during the summer season. Plan for sales during the three big summer holidays; Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. Even if your project is a few months down the road, paint can last for years when stored properly.
- Kitchen Appliances: With new high-tech and energy efficient refrigerators, stoves and dishwashers hitting the market each spring, you will see prices hit their peak in May. If you are looking to save money by installing green appliances, look out for holiday sales the rest of the year. You'll see prices hitting their lowest points of the year on July 4th, Labor Day and eventually Black Friday, according to Consumer Reports.
- Home Organizers: As the school year begins to ramp up, you might find great deals on storage containers at home suppliers and furniture retailers, where sales run into fall. Even if you don't have any students in your household you can take advantage of discounts on shelving, organizers and office supplies.
- Outdoor Products: Need mulch, pots, plants or items for your yard? Now's the time to stock up for next spring, when retailers up their discounts throughout September. Also consider fall a great time to look at purchasing new seasonal outdoor equipment including lawn mowers, grills and backyard furniture. Maintaining your yard is an essential part of your home's curb appeal and can help add to your home's value.
When it comes to home improvement, there are a lot of ways to maximize your savings! Get out your calendar and plan your next project today. For more information on owning a home, visit My Home by Freddie Mac®.